Mary Tom, Esq.
Mary earned her Bachelor's degree in Political Science from Manhattanville College in 1985. In 1988, she obtained her Law Degree from Seton Hall University at the School of Law in Newark, New Jersey.
Mary started her legal career in 1988 as a Law Clerk for the late Honorable Amos C. Saunders in Passaic County. She then went into private practice rising from associate to partner developing her law practice. In January 2018, Mary joined her current partner, Peter F. Weiss.
Mary maintains a diversified practice. Her elder law practice involves numerous aspects of estate and trust administration, probate litigation, and estate planning. She has also developed a Guardianship component to her elder law practice, in which she has served, and continues to serve as the Court-appointed Guardian for several wards. In addition, Mary also serves as Administrator in contested estates. In those fiduciary capacities, she is directly accountable to the court.
Since 1989, Mary has been admitted to the practice of law in the States of New Jersey, New York, and the District of Columbia. She is also admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey and the United States Tax Court.
Since 2000, Mary has served as a Trustee of the Passaic County Bar Association. She is the Co-Chair of the Passaic County Bar Association, Elder Law Section. She is also a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys.
- Elder Law
- Estate & Trust Planning
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Probate Litigation
- Trust & Estate Administration
- New Jersey, 1989
- New York, 1989
- District of Columbia 1989
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. Tax Court
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, June 1988
- B.A. in Political Science, Manhattanville College, May 1985
Associations and Memberships
- Passaic County Bar Association, Trustee
- Passaic County Bar Association, Co-Chair, Elder Law Section
- New Jersey Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court
- Member of the District XI Ethics Committee - Currently serving as the Chair of the Committee
- Former Member of District XI Fee Arbitration Committee